Team ABC Boulder wins 2013 ABS 14 National Team Championship!!!
ABC did not have the most climbers in the event, but overall ABC was the highest-performing team at ABS Nationals. Great job team!
The Results List for Team Championships – www.absnationals.org/08/news/Team%20Results.pdf
We are very proud of all Team ABC Athletes who competed in the ABS 14 Youth National Championships! Here are Team ABC results from Finals. If they have a NT it means they made the National Bouldering Team:
1. Mia Manson – 2013 National Champion!!! NT
2. Phoebe Dolan NT
3. Colin Duffy NT
10. Liam O’Brien
2. Stella Noble NT
4. Ariana O’Brien NT
6. Brooke Raboutou
5. Joe Goodacre
2. Margo Hayes NT
4. Isabelle Goodacre NT
3. Shawn Raboutou NT
2. Megan Mascarenas NT
5. Laurel Todd
7. Michael O’Rourke
8. Matt Lubar
Great job ABC!!!
Great job to all who competed in Semifinals today!
The semifinals round was 3 problems per category. The problems were apparently quite hard as most categories had very few sends from any climbers.
Here are the semis results from Team ABC athletes. The link at the bottom of each is to the full qualis and semis results for that category. Sends are noted.
1. Michael O’Rourke (3 tops, 2 flash)
7. Matt Lubar (2 tops, 1 flash)
2. Megan Mascarenas (2 tops, 1 flash)
7. Laurel Todd (1 top)
15. Austin Lankford (does not advance)
2. Margo Hayes (2 tops, 1 flash)
10. Isabelle Goodacre
1. Shawn Raboutou (flashed all 3 semis problems)
2. Brooke Raboutou (flashed all 3 problems! So tied with Ashima for 1st in Semifinals, but was 2 in qualifiers so in 2nd overall at the moment)
3. Stella Noble (flashed 2, did the 3rd 2nd try)
6. Ariana O’Brien (topped 2, flashed 1)
3. Joe Goodacre (did 2 problems, 1 flash)
14. Ray McVicker (does not advance)
1. Phoebe Dolan (the only person to flash a semis problem in this category)
2. Mia Manson (one of only 4 climbers to send a semis problem in this category)
15. Campbell Sarinopoulos (does not advance)
3. Colin Duffy (flashed 1 problem)
6. Liam O’Brien (flashed 1 problem)
Finals Running Orders
And approximate climbing times.
Male/Female Junior – www.absnationals.org/08/news/MJR-FJR%20F%20Start%20List.pdf
Male/Female A – www.absnationals.org/08/news/MYA-FYA%20F%20Start%20List.pdf
Male B/Female D – www.absnationals.org/08/news/MYB-FYD%20F%20Start%20List.pdf
Male/Female C – www.absnationals.org/08/news/MYC-FYC%20F%20Start%20List.pdf
Male D/ Female B – www.absnationals.org/08/news/MYD-FYB%20F%20Start%20List.pdf
For more info check – ABS Nationals Homepage
Come to Colorado Springs tomorrow to support Team ABC in Finals!
Good Luck Team!!!
We’d like to congratulate all the members of Team ABC who competed in Qualifiers at the ABS 14 Youth National Championships. It took hard work and dedication to get here, and we are so proud of all of you!!!
Below we will list the quali results of all Team ABC climbers and give links to the full results for each category, should you like to read them. It may be a bit confusing to understand what exactly the results mean, so here is an example with the scoring explained.
5. Michael O’Rourke – 2 tops, 43 points, 1 flash, 3 attempts to top, 6 attempts to high points
5. – he got 5th place
2 tops – he got to the top of two of the problems
43 points – each hold on each problem is worth one or two points (depending on whether you match). The top hold is always worth two points. There are 4 qualifier problems, so say problem 1 is worth 9, problem 2 is worth 17, problem 3 is worth 14, and problem four is also worth 13, then total possible points would be 9 + 17 + 14 + 13 or 53 points possible for the round. (These numbers are not exactly what they were in the comp, but no one finished all the problems so I’m not sure actual max possible score). In scoring the order of rank is by tops, then by total points. You earn points for problems you top and for problems you just climb on. Basically they’re looking at who did the most problems, then at who got the highest on most problems. At ABS 14 Adult Nationals last week, Megan took 4th overall, but she had the 2nd highest point value after finals. She took fourth because the competitors ahead of her topped more problems (see for yourself).
1 flash – he did one problem 1st try
3 attempts to top – this includes flashes (1 attempt) and other attempts, so if he has 1 flash and did 2 problems, it took him 2 tries to do the other problem so 3 total attempts to get his 2 tops.
6 attempts to high points – how many tries it took him to get to his highest scored holds (including tops), SO if he has 3 attempts to 2 tops, then it took him 3 tries to get to the highpoints on his other 2 problems, meaning 1 attempt to high point on one problem and 2 attempts on the other.
The idea of the scoring system is to see who did the best in terms of climbing the highest the fastest. Finishing one problem is worth more than just climbing high on all 4 but not finishing any because in climbing finishing the route or problem is what matters. After that they go back to how high you got on the others, how fast you got to the top, and how fast you got your highpoints.
Hope this helps explain the bouldering scoring system, as, though it makes logical sense, it can get confusing.
Below are the scores from the Qualifying Round for all Team ABC climbers who competed. Around the top 15 (depending on the category) will go to semis, if a climber does not advance it will be noted.
Male Youth D
4. Colin Duffy – 3 tops, 57 points, 2 flashes, 5 attempts to tops, 16 attempts to points
7. Liam O’Brien – 2 tops, 56 points, 2 flashes, 7 attempts to points
Full Quali Results MYD – www.absnationals.org/08/news/MYD%20Q%20results.pdf
Female Youth D
1. Phoebe Dolan – 2 tops, 61 points, 2 flashes, 5 attempts to high points
3. Mia Manson – 2 tops, 54 points, 2 flashes, 5 attempts to high points
12. Campbell Sarinopoulos – 1 top, 40 points, 1 flash, 8 attempts to high points
Full Quali Results FYD – www.absnationals.org/08/news/FYD%20Q%20results.pdf
Male Youth C
3. Joe Goodacre – 3 tops, 56 points, 3 flashes, 4 attempts to high points
14. Ray McVicker – 1 top, 46 points, 1 flash, 6 attempts to high points
18. Mateo Gallegos – 1 top, 44 points, 1 flash, 10 attempts to points (does not advance, but so close!)
Full Quali Results MYC – www.absnationals.org/08/news/MYC%20Q%20results.pdf
Female Youth C
2. Brooke Raboutou – 4 tops, 67 points, 3 flashes, 8 attempts to tops (just 3 attempts behind Ashima, they were the only 2 in their category to top all 4 problems)
11. Ariana O’Brien – 3 tops, 64 points, 2 flashes, 6 attempts to top, 9 attempts to points
12. Stella Noble – 3 tops, 63 points, 2 flashes, 8 attempts to tops, 13 attempts to points
17th (tied). Ravelle Nelson – 3 tops, 54 points, 2 flashes, 4 attempts to tops, 5 attempts to points (unfortunately Ravelle and the girl she tied with are the first 2 out of semis. This round was so close!)
Full Quali Results FYC – www.absnationals.org/08/news/FYC%20Q%20results.pdf
Male Youth B
1. Shawn Raboutou – 3 tops, 50 points, 3 flashes, 4 attempts to points (only one in his category to climb 3 problems)
17. Malcolm Oliver – 1 top, 26 points, 2 attempts to top, 5 attempts to points (does not advance)
Full Quali Results MYB – www.absnationals.org/08/news/MYB%20Q%20results.pdf
Female Youth B
1. Margo Hayes – 4 tops, 68 points, 4 flashes (tied with Sidney Trinidad of Vertical World)
4. Isabelle Goodacre – 3 tops, 64 points, 3 flashes, 4 attempts to high points
31. Ivy Todd – no tops, 33 points, 6 attempts to high points (does not advance to semis)
Full Quali Results FYB - www.absnationals.org/08/news/FYB%20Q%20results.pdf
Male Youth A
11. Austin Lankford – 1 top, 36 points, 1 flash, 7 attempts to high points
26. Remi Arata – no tops, 31 points, 8 attempts to high points (does not advance to semis)
Full Qualis Results MYA – www.absnationals.org/08/news/MYA%20Q%20results.pdf
Female Youth A
1. Megan Mascarenas – 4 tops, 58 points, 3 flashes, 7 attempts to top, 7 attempts to high points
14. Laurel Todd – 1 top, 42 points, 1 flash, 7 attempts to high points
Full Qualis Results FYA – www.absnationals.org/08/news/FYA%20Q%20results.pdf
5. Michael O’Rourke – 2 tops, 43 points, 1 flash, 3 attempts to top, 6 attempts to high points
10. Matt Lubar – 1 top, 40 points, no flashes, 2 attempts to top, 14 attempts to high points
Full Qualis Results Male Junior – www.absnationals.org/08/news/MJR%20Q%20results.pdf
Links to all results and Semifinals Running Orders:
Semis are today.
GO TEAM ABC!!!
The ABS 14 Youth National Championships is taking place this weekend in Colorado Springs.
Qualifiers are today, and you can view the running orders here:
For those who make it through, Semifinals are on Saturday and Finals are on Sunday.
The kids have worked hard and trained hard to earn their invitations to this prestigious event, and we want to repay their commitment with the full support of our coaches, team members, and parents. If you have time, come down to Colorado Springs and support Team ABC at the American Bouldering Series National Championships!!!
GO TEAM ABC!!!!
We are extremely proud to share that both Coach Garrett Gregor and Elite Team Athlete Megan Mascarenas earned 4th place finishes at ABS 14 Open Nationals! This means Garrett and Megan are both on the US National Team!!!
This was Megan’s first-ever adult Nationals and Garrett’s highest Nationals placing ever.
Great job Megan!
Great job Garrett!
You can see full results from the comp here – ABS Nationals Homepage
And see an album of event photos from Page Kuepper here – ABS NATIONALS FINALS
Women’s final rundown and more comp info here – ABS 14 Nationals – Media Links | The Spot Route Setting Blog
Thanks again to USA Climbing for throwing another great event.
We are looking forward to Youth Nationals next weekend.
Go Team ABC!!!
We will update with other Team ABC results when they are posted.
Several Team ABC coaches, athletes, and friends competed in the qualifying round of ABS 14 Adult Open Nationals in Colorado Springs yesterday. We are proud to say that Megan Mascarenas, Garrett Gregor, Michael O’Rourke, and Rob D’Anastasio will be advancing to Semifinals today. Matt Lubar gave a good run, ending up in a heartbreaking 21st place, making him first out of Semis. Next year Matt!
We are also excited to watch our friends Daniel Woods, Paul Robinson, Josh Levin, Sierra Blair-Coyle, Matty Hong, and all the other great athletes who will be competing today!
Here are the ABC results from Qualifiers. 40 women and 77 men competed. Top 22 women and 20 men qualified for semis (they took more women because of ties):
1. Megan Mascarenas!!! – Megan was the only competitor to top all 5 qualis!
24. Laurel Todd
4. Michael O’Rourke – 5 tops, 8 attempts
5. Rob D – 5 tops, 9 attempts
15. Garrett – 4 tops, 63 points
21. Matt Lubar – 3 tops, 59 points
47. Stefan Lavender – 1 top, 52 points
53. Austin Lankford – 1 top, 46 points
57. Remi Arata – 1 top, 43 points
60. Nick Lyon – 1 top, 41 points
Women’s Semifinals Running Order (top 22 qualifiers in reverse order)
Men’s Semifinals Running Order (top 20 qualifiers in reverse order)
Watch Semifinals Live starting at 11 am – ABS14 National Championships Semis Live Feed