ABS Nationals – Qualifier Results!!! + Semis Running Orders
We’d like to congratulate all the members of Team ABC who competed in Qualifiers at the ABS 14 Youth National Championships. It took hard work and dedication to get here, and we are so proud of all of you!!!
Below we will list the quali results of all Team ABC climbers and give links to the full results for each category, should you like to read them. It may be a bit confusing to understand what exactly the results mean, so here is an example with the scoring explained.
5. Michael O’Rourke – 2 tops, 43 points, 1 flash, 3 attempts to top, 6 attempts to high points
5. - he got 5th place
2 tops - he got to the top of two of the problems
43 points – each hold on each problem is worth one or two points (depending on whether you match). The top hold is always worth two points. There are 4 qualifier problems, so say problem 1 is worth 9, problem 2 is worth 17, problem 3 is worth 14, and problem four is also worth 13, then total possible points would be 9 + 17 + 14 + 13 or 53 points possible for the round. (These numbers are not exactly what they were in the comp, but no one finished all the problems so I’m not sure actual max possible score). In scoring the order of rank is by tops, then by total points. You earn points for problems you top and for problems you just climb on. Basically they’re looking at who did the most problems, then at who got the highest on most problems. At ABS 14 Adult Nationals last week, Megan took 4th overall, but she had the 2nd highest point value after finals. She took fourth because the competitors ahead of her topped more problems (see for yourself).
1 flash – he did one problem 1st try
3 attempts to top – this includes flashes (1 attempt) and other attempts, so if he has 1 flash and did 2 problems, it took him 2 tries to do the other problem so 3 total attempts to get his 2 tops.
6 attempts to high points – how many tries it took him to get to his highest scored holds (including tops), SO if he has 3 attempts to 2 tops, then it took him 3 tries to get to the highpoints on his other 2 problems, meaning 1 attempt to high point on one problem and 2 attempts on the other.
The idea of the scoring system is to see who did the best in terms of climbing the highest the fastest. Finishing one problem is worth more than just climbing high on all 4 but not finishing any because in climbing finishing the route or problem is what matters. After that they go back to how high you got on the others, how fast you got to the top, and how fast you got your highpoints.
Hope this helps explain the bouldering scoring system, as, though it makes logical sense, it can get confusing.
Below are the scores from the Qualifying Round for all Team ABC climbers who competed. Around the top 15 (depending on the category) will go to semis, if a climber does not advance it will be noted.
Male Youth D
4. Colin Duffy – 3 tops, 57 points, 2 flashes, 5 attempts to tops, 16 attempts to points
7. Liam O’Brien – 2 tops, 56 points, 2 flashes, 7 attempts to points
Full Quali Results MYD - www.absnationals.org/08/news/MYD%20Q%20results.pdf
Female Youth D
1. Phoebe Dolan – 2 tops, 61 points, 2 flashes, 5 attempts to high points
3. Mia Manson – 2 tops, 54 points, 2 flashes, 5 attempts to high points
12. Campbell Sarinopoulos – 1 top, 40 points, 1 flash, 8 attempts to high points
Full Quali Results FYD - www.absnationals.org/08/news/FYD%20Q%20results.pdf
Male Youth C
3. Joe Goodacre – 3 tops, 56 points, 3 flashes, 4 attempts to high points
14. Ray McVicker – 1 top, 46 points, 1 flash, 6 attempts to high points
18. Mateo Gallegos – 1 top, 44 points, 1 flash, 10 attempts to points (does not advance, but so close!)
Full Quali Results MYC - www.absnationals.org/08/news/MYC%20Q%20results.pdf
Female Youth C
2. Brooke Raboutou – 4 tops, 67 points, 3 flashes, 8 attempts to tops (just 3 attempts behind Ashima, they were the only 2 in their category to top all 4 problems)
11. Ariana O’Brien – 3 tops, 64 points, 2 flashes, 6 attempts to top, 9 attempts to points
12. Stella Noble – 3 tops, 63 points, 2 flashes, 8 attempts to tops, 13 attempts to points
17th (tied). Ravelle Nelson – 3 tops, 54 points, 2 flashes, 4 attempts to tops, 5 attempts to points (unfortunately Ravelle and the girl she tied with are the first 2 out of semis. This round was so close!)
Full Quali Results FYC - www.absnationals.org/08/news/FYC%20Q%20results.pdf
Male Youth B
1. Shawn Raboutou – 3 tops, 50 points, 3 flashes, 4 attempts to points (only one in his category to climb 3 problems)
17. Malcolm Oliver – 1 top, 26 points, 2 attempts to top, 5 attempts to points (does not advance)
Full Quali Results MYB - www.absnationals.org/08/news/MYB%20Q%20results.pdf
Female Youth B
1. Margo Hayes – 4 tops, 68 points, 4 flashes (tied with Sidney Trinidad of Vertical World)
4. Isabelle Goodacre – 3 tops, 64 points, 3 flashes, 4 attempts to high points
31. Ivy Todd – no tops, 33 points, 6 attempts to high points (does not advance to semis)
Full Quali Results FYB - www.absnationals.org/08/news/FYB%20Q%20results.pdf
Male Youth A
11. Austin Lankford – 1 top, 36 points, 1 flash, 7 attempts to high points
26. Remi Arata – no tops, 31 points, 8 attempts to high points (does not advance to semis)
Full Qualis Results MYA - www.absnationals.org/08/news/MYA%20Q%20results.pdf
Female Youth A
1. Megan Mascarenas – 4 tops, 58 points, 3 flashes, 7 attempts to top, 7 attempts to high points
14. Laurel Todd – 1 top, 42 points, 1 flash, 7 attempts to high points
Full Qualis Results FYA - www.absnationals.org/08/news/FYA%20Q%20results.pdf
5. Michael O’Rourke - 2 tops, 43 points, 1 flash, 3 attempts to top, 6 attempts to high points
10. Matt Lubar - 1 top, 40 points, no flashes, 2 attempts to top, 14 attempts to high points
Full Qualis Results Male Junior - www.absnationals.org/08/news/MJR%20Q%20results.pdf
Links to all results and Semifinals Running Orders:
Semis are today.
GO TEAM ABC!!!